Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Citizenship/Reports of Birth Abroad

Consular Report of Birth Abroad

The U.S. Consulate General in Tijuana strongly encourages all U.S. citizens who have children born in Mexico to register them as U.S. citizens as soon as possible after the birth of the child. Upon registration, the child will be issued a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA), which is an official record confirming that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth.  A CRBA can be issued only at an U.S. consular office overseas, and only before the child reaches 18 years of age.

Applications for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad are accepted by appointment only.  The DS-2029 application  and Affidavit of Physical Presence can be downloaded. All forms must be completed prior to the scheduled appointment. 

The application fee for a CRBA is $100 USD. Some parents choose to apply for a CRBA and passport for their child at the same time. Please click on the following for the passport requirements for minors as well as associated passport fees.

Additional information is available on the Department of State’s website at   

Generally, parents seeking to obtain a CRBA must be able to demonstrate to the interviewing consular officer that:

  • The child is the biological child of at least one U.S. citizen parent; 
  • At least one of the parents was a U.S. citizen on the date of the child’s birth; and  
  • The U.S. citizen parent resided in the United States for the required period of time. 

For more information on these requirements, please go to the Department of State’s website at  Please note that the period of physical presence in the United States required to transmit citizenship to a child born abroad varies, depending on the date of birth of the child and the marital status of the parents.

At the time of the appointment, the applicant must physically appear with their parents and the parents must present original and copy of the following documents:

  • Original or Certified Copy of the Mexican Birth Certificate, a provisional copy cannot be accepted.
  • Proof of Parent’s Citizenship: Please show one of the following documents for one or both parents: US Passport (valid or recently expired), original U.S. birth certificate or original Certificate of Naturalization.
  • Proof of Both Parents Identity: driver’s license, state ID card, Mexican voting card (IFE), passport, etc.
  • Marriage Certificate: If parents are married, please provide an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate and any prior divorce decrees (if applicable).  If the parents were not married at the time of child’s conception, please provide proof of the existence of the relationship at that time.
  • Prenatal Documents and/or documents from hospital where the applicant was born: ultra sounds, prescriptions, medical records, identification bracelet, crib card, discharge orders, hospital bill, photos of the mother during pregnancy and in the hospital before and after the birth.  

Proof of the transmitting parent’s physical presence in the United States:

Special Assistance & Additional Information 

If you require special assistance or accommodations please contact us at (664) 977 – 2000  from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM.   You can also reach us at Additional information regarding U.S. passports is also available from the Department of State.

Parking:  The Consulate does not provide parking. Public parking facilities are available near the Consulate.

Prohibited items: You will pass through a security screening prior to entering the Consulate. Please leave lighters, nail clippers, tweezers, scissors, mp3 players, mobile phones, pagers, cameras, and other electronic devices at home or in your vehicle. Passport applicants are not permitted to bring these items into the Consulate.



  • Appointments for Passport services and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad can be made here.